Delayed Rockstar....

Wednesday 4th December.

I headed back to Kilmarnock for a session with Susan. I explained how the rest of Tuesday had gone, and showed her the notebook I had jotted down sounds, listening practice etc. We hooked up and did a new map (I assume as we reset all the electrode levels!) And guess what? This time I could hear everyone of those electrodes!! As an actual sound – beeping over and over! We pushed them all up a fair bit, and I felt more confident at saying when it was a good level. I still erred on the side of caution, cautious that whole day of that sound level might be overwhelming. Then she switched it on – what a difference! There is still warbling with high sounds, but more of a robotic underlying – speech sounds more speech shaped, but not that clear and definitely robotic! We tested the volume level by her banging on the table and then slapping – both were loud but not wince in pain loud which Susan was happy with J

Then we did a little bit of rehab. We started with her saying one of three words, with diff syllables in – all right. We then tried one of 4 sentences – all right J we then did a sentence with a choice of two words – e.g fed / food. All similar sounding and I got pretty much all of those right – go me!! Then finally we tried some open set questions such as what is your name? Do you watch television? I had nothing to look at and no idea what they would be. I got some of them partly right and one completely right. It was a lot harder, but the fact that I even got parts of them right on day 2 (especially considering day 1!) was amazing! Perhaps I am having a delayed rock star moment!!

I asked about having a t program put on for headphones but they don’t really want me to use headphones yet – not entirely sure why blocking out environmental sounds for practice periods is bad but still! I am also still only on the “S” strategy. She gave me 20% more volume on the volume control in case I needed it. 
I headed back to Glasgow to meet Stephen and we spent the afternoon doing a bit of shopping and having some food. When there is any other noise I lose his voice – it’s not robotic – it’s not there! I think it’s because its familiar so the brain is focusing mainly on the new and unfamiliar to figure out what it is, which is why I hear so much warbling – that’s high sounds.

I didn't get to do any specific auditory practice that day, but we did go buy me a Kindle Fire HDX as a Christmas Pressie (which I am totally having early!) so I can use the immersion reading option. If you have both the kindle and the audible book it will play them both together and then highlight the words on the screen whilst reading – which will stop me getting lost and having to repeat the same bits over and over again!

We had a works award dinner that night. It is my worst nightmare with two hearing aids, never mind just one baby CI warbling ear! I stayed close to Stephen and our friend Clive who was also there. I managed to have a conversation with someone next to me reasonably OK (but my lipreading is super fantastic at the moment so that helped – but he did sound robotic and so I was getting some speech help from the CI – but overlaid with warbles from all the background noise).


By 10pm I was shattered so I left early and had an hour reading with no CI before sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment